Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

Schools and students

Q.Where is the school?
A. It is located in Sakura City, Chiba. The nearest station is JR Sakura Station (Sobu Main Line and Narita Line).
It takes about 30 minutes from Sakura Station to Narita International Airport and about an hour from Tokyo Station.

Q.How old are the students?
A.The age is from 17 to 25 year olds.
Students who have graduated from high school, college and university.

Q.What is the nationality of students?
A.Students come mostly from China, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand, Afghanistan, etc.

When go to Japan

Q.What kinds of document do I need to prepare for entering Japan?
A.Passport, visa, admission permit, application for non-qualification activities, cash, medicine, etc.
It is better to carry cash of about 300,000 yen as living expenses for the first six months.

Q.Do you have a pick-up at the airport? Does it cost?
A.Students who live in the student dormitories will be picked up at Narita International Airport.
Free of charge
Students who do not move into the dormitory should come to school by themself from the airport.

About Student Dormitories

Q.How many students can move into dormitories?
A.Currently, the school possesses five student dormitories.
We prepare safety-conscious dormitory for all applicants can move into, so that parents can feel safe.

Q. What is the type of room in the dormitory, the number of residents in each room, and the facilities?
A.The type of room is 2DK or 3LDK.
 In the case of a 2DK with 2 people in a room: there is one room for two people, and each room is for four people. (6 people in the case of 3LDK)
 In the case of a 2DK with a person in a room: there is only a person in a room, and each room is for two people. (3 people in the case of 3LDK)
Facilities:Bed、Table and chair set、Air conditioner、refrigerator、washing machine、LCD TV、microwave oven、cleaner、hot water dispenser
➡Student dormitory

Q.Do I have to move into a student dormitory?
A. According to school rules, students must enter the dormitory for safety reason during the first six months.
If you want to live with relatives or friends, you must apply to the school in advance for permission.
In that case, the distance to go to school is less than 30 minutes by train.

Q.Are there scholarships? What is the necessary condition?
A.Curently、there are 3 types of scholarships
Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology International Student Learning Incentives、KEIO scholarship:good at mark and attendance rate
All-time prize: 100% attendance rate for each semester

Cost of studying in Japan

Q.How much does it cost in a year?
A.Please refer to the table below.

Item Cost(yen)
Tuition 770,000 yen
Boarding-expenses 20,000/month×12= 240,000 yen
Living cost cost(food、clothes、energy bill,etc.) 30,000/month×12= 360,000 yen
Communication expenses(mobile phone fee) 8,000/month×12= 96,000 yen
Others cost 2,000/month×12= 24,000 yen
Total 1,490,000 yen

About Student Dormitories

Q.Can international students work part-time job in Japan? What are the rules?
A.Foreign students are allowed to work part-time job.
Working hours are limited to 28 hours per week during the semester and 8 hours per day during long vacations.

Q.Will the school introduce me to a part-time job?
A.There are nearly factories, restaurants, convenience stores, airport-related business (duty-free shop, in-flight cleaning, etc.), sorting part-time job.
The school actively provides information on various part-time jobs.
➡Part-time jobs

Q.How much income can I earn from a part-time job?
A.If you spend 28 hours per week during the semester and 8 hours per day during a long vacation, you can get 1,000 yen per hour for a day of work. Your annual income will be as follows:

Pass-time job hour Income
During the semester
(44 weeks)
44 weeks×28 hours= 1,232 hours 1,232,000 yen
Summer vacation
( 3 weeks)
3 weeks×40 hours= 120 hours 120,000 yen
Winter vacation
( 2 weeks)
2 weeks×40 hours= 80 hours 80,000 yen
Spring vacation
( 3 weeks)
3 weeks×40 hours= 120 hours 120,000 yen
Total annual income 1,552,000 yen
Going on to higher education in Japan

Q.Please tell me about the education system in Japan.
A.12 years of education system (6 years of elementary school, 3 years of junior high school, 3 years of high school), four – year of university, two – year of graduate school (master’s degree), three – year of graduate school (doctor).
There is also a two-year junior college.
There are different types of schools such as national, public and private school.
In Japan, 80% are private universities. Some private universities are well-known in the world such as Waseda University and Keio University.
In addition, there are many vocational schools in Japan. If you graduate after two years (three to four years depending on the course), you can take advantage of your expertise to apply a job in Japan.

Q. Is there a unified exam for going on to university in Japan? What are the exam subjects?
A.If an international student wants to go on to a national or public university or a famous private university in Japan, he/she must have a grade in the EJU.
Humanities: Japanese, Mathematics 1, General subjects
Science: Japanese, Mathematics 2, Science (choose two subjects from Biology, Chemistry, and Physics)
You must take the subjects specified by the university.

Q. Do I have to take the EJU if I want to go on to higher education in Japan?
A.Not yet. There are three main exam patterns for international students to take entrance examinations at Japanese schools:
National and public universities, famous private universities: EJU exam + school-owned exam (Japanese writing and essays) + interview
Private universities and vocational schools (1): School-owned examinations (Japanese writing and essays) + interviews
Private Universities and Vocational Colleges (2): Interviews
In the interview, you will be asked why you studied in Japan and what job you want to do in the future.

Q.Do I need to take TOEFL or TOEIC to go on to higher education in Japan?
A.No yet. TOEFL or TOEIC grades are usually required in national or public university or a prestigious private university when you take an entrance exam.
Some universities and vocational schools are English test may be among the exam, however, other schools do not require English at all.
Students who are necessary English grades for entrance exam can also take part in special courses.

Q.Can I apply more than one university at the same time in Japan?
A.Yes, you can. It is suitable international students for applying to the entrance exams, Japanese universities conduct generally their own examination in different days.
International students can apply to entrance exam at the same time for more than one university.

Q.Besides, Japanese language classes, does Tokyo Sakura Academy offer mathematics, general subjects, and science subjects classes?
A.Yes, we do
We offer special classes in mathematics, general subjects, and science subjects according to the date of the examination.

Q. Do I have to pay tuition fee for special classes in mathematics, general subjects, science, etc.?
A.No, it’s completely free.
If you go to a cram school for entrance examinations, it will cost hundreds of thousands to millions of yen or more.
In order to support the dream of international students going on to famous schools in Japan, we offer the special classes free of charge.
➡Going on to higher education in Japan